Friday, October 24, 2014

All across the country, CIS is changing lives



CIS programs around the country regularly report their success stories on the national CIS website, and we enjoy learning about these accomplishments while we continue to grow our own program here in Coweta. This week, a Kansas student named Tres’Rionna Whitlock shared her story.

When she was 14, Tres’Rionna was diagnosed with a genetic eye disease that progressed to the point where she was considered legally blind by age 16.

"It wasn’t until my sophomore year that I met Mrs. Ahmad, a site coordinator from Communities In Schools of Wichita,” Tres’Rionna told CIS. "Mrs. Ahmad, along with my school nurse, administrators, social worker, counselor and my mom set up a plan for my teachers so that they could accommodate me. My teachers were to print out my notes, assignments, and tests in large font, give me extra time to complete homework and tests, limited computer work, assistance while doing computer work, and shorten my math assignments.”

Mrs. Ahmad also helped Tres’Rionna and her mother get health insurance, and this past summer Tres'Rionna was able to get a corneal transplant that has made her vision much better. Now her grades have improved and she’s on the path to graduation in 2015. If you’d like to read more about this terrific young lady and how she was helped by CIS, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment